Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup

I LOVE.love.LOVE to cook.
In my adult life I have grown into quite a competant home cook {if I do say so myself}...I LOVE to play in the kitchen.
I almost never COPY recipes...I lOVE to change them and make them my own...and most of the time they are off the chart Y-U-M-M-Y! I have also created many of my own...
I do happen to have a wonderful family who love to take on my constant trial and error, and that helps make me a better cook.
ANYWAY.....
Tonights dinner was just YUM...and Oh so easy!
I love me a good crockpot meal...especially on soccer nights! :)
This recipe originally came from an OLD Betty Crocker cookbook...but I altered it...many times...and have adapted it to fit a crockpot.
So here it is...


3 cups cooked chicken (we happen to love it shredded)
4 cups chicken broth
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 can light kidney beans
2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained and blended (I use a stick blender, right in the can)
1 cup of your favorite salsa (I would do less if super spicy)
1 1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2-3/4 cup fresh shredded cilantro
1 1/2 TBS ground cumin

Put everything in the crockpot together. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours...if you MUST do high...you can but it really needs at least 3 1/2 hours to come together.

TOPPINGS:
Cheese (any)
Avacado
Cilantro
Tomato
Tortilla Chips
Sour Cream

Ladle into bowl and top with all of your favorites.


*I have also added jarred sliced jalenpeno...very good...BUT remember jarred jalepenos are MUCH spicier then fresh. I only use one, or two slices...two will give it quite a kick...one just gives a hint of spice.
I know many people who love rice in their torilla soup as well, and this would be easy to do...but I would cook it first...don't put it in raw, or it will soak up a lot of the liquid.

It's really great with quesadillas.

Looks good huh?????
YUMMMMMMY

Raelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment